From the kitchen of Diane Watkins.
This is a great potato soup as I am not usually a fan of potato soup. I added a pound of chopped clams and it was delicious.
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 14 oz. can chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups leeks chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. each black pepper and celery seed
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 3 cups milk (I substitute 8 oz. cream for part of the milk)
- 8 ozs. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly(optional)
In a large saucepan, cook bacon till crisp; remove bacon and set aside. Drain off grease leaving enough to cook onion in. When cooked, add potatoes, broth, leeks, carrot, parsley, celery seed and black pepper. Cover and simmer till potatoes and leeks are tender @ 15 mins. Combine flour and milk(and cream if using) and whisk till smooth. Add to soup and bring to boil; stir 2 mins. Add chopped clams if using. Add cheese & stir till melted. Add bacon, crumbled. Garnish bowls with chopped onions if desired.