Cream of Caulifower Soup
- ¼ c. water or stock
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 1 med. onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg, optional
- 4 ½ c. chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 ½ c. white wine, optional
- 1 ½ lbs. trimmed cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- ¼-½ c. heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk
- ½-1 t. salt
- 1/8 t. ground white or black pepper
- Heat the water or stock and butter in a in a soup pot over medium-low heat until the butter is melted.
- Add onion, garlic and nutmeg and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender but not browned, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken or vegetable stock, white wine and cauliflower.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, 15-20 min.
- Puree until smooth.
- Return to the pot and stir in heavy cream, half-and half or milk, salt and pepper.
- Simmer briefly and ladle into warmed bowls.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or snipped fresh dill or chives.
- Serve with croutons, crackers or warm bread.