Chocolate Walnut Tarts
From the kitchen of Whole foods with an Amber twist.
Relatively healthy, as far as cookies go.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup unbleached white flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 TB fruit sweetened raspberry or strawberry jam
- Preheat over to 350
- Finely grind walnuts in a food processor. Add the flours, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Transfer to medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter and maple syrup until emulsified and thick.
- Add to dry ingredients, stirring to combine until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Form dough into walnut size balls and place on a cookie sheet. Make a fingerprint in each cookie and fill with a smidgen of jam. Cookies will not spread during baking so you can cram alot onto one sheet.
- Cook for 13 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.
- Note of caution-Jam in center of cookies is HOT when fresh from oven and will burn your mouth just as much as the finger you try to taste it with. Will also burn your toes if some should spill from the cookie you cant wait to eat.