From the kitchen of AARP.
I may not be retired but I sure do enjoy this spicy Russian winter warmer drink.
Other recipies I saw used less honey, more wine, a variety of spices including cardamom pods and ground ginger.
- 3 ½ cups red wine
- 2 cups honey
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 2 dried red chili peppers, optional
- 2 tablespoons apricot or seedless raspberry jam (we used raspberry)
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to almost a boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally to incorporate the honey. Mixture will be slightly foamy.
2. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container. Keep refrigerated until ready to bottle.
3. To serve, reheat sbiten in a saucepan, whisking occasionally. Serve hot and foamy in small glasses with cinnamon stick for garnish. **
**We added rum to increase the potency.