No-Cook Summer Tomato Sauce
From the kitchen of Karen Van Evera.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes (about 3 lbs.), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. pasta, your choice
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Freshly grated romano or feta cheese
Place first four ingredients in a bowl; mix, cover and let sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours, or until ready to use.
Cook pasta, drain and return to pot.
Stir oil and vinegar into tomato sauce; when blended, pour over the pasta and toss gently.
Spoon into bowls, top with basil and cheese.
Makes 4 generous servings: 399 calories and 6g fat (13%).
Options: You can vary the recipe by adding cannellini beans; or serving the sauce over the rice or bulgar wheat.