Chef Bill’s Beef-Barley Soup
From the kitchen of Better Homes and Gardens.
Makes 8 servings (10 cups)
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 1 pound beef tenderloin roast, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (12 cloves)
- 6 cups beef stock or beef broth
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup Cabernet Sauvignon or dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1-½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- ¼ cup snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, brown half of the meat in hot oil over medium-high heat; remove meat from Dutch oven.
- Add remaining meat, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic to Dutch oven. Cook and stir until meat is brown and onion is tender. Return all meat to Dutch oven.
- Stir in beef stock, tomato puree, wine, dried thyme, if using, coriander, black pepper, and salt.
- Bring to boiling; stir in barley.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley, basil, and fresh thyme, if using.