Creme Brulee French Toast
From the kitchen of Wholefoods market.
Great for a special brunch.
- ½ cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 12 1 ½ in. slices of challah bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 × 9 in. baking dish.
2. In a sauce pan, melt butter, brown sugar and maple syrup just until it begins to boil and turn brown, like caramel. Carefuly pour it into the baking dish.
3. Trim crusts off the bread and arrange it evenly over the caramel. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, vanilla, orange juice and sugar. Pour over the bread. Let bread soak up the liquid for 5-10 minutes. Bake in 350°F oven for 35 minutes, until golden. cut into squares.
4. Serve with the caramel from the bottom of the pan spooned over and stawberries and whipped cream.