- 2 c Sliced onions
- 1 Clove garlic; crushed
- 1 ½ c Chicken stock
- 1 c Uncooked white rice
- ½ ts Turmeric (or a little saffron)
- dash Pepper
- 1 ½ c Cold water
- 4 md Carrots; diced
- 1 Sweet red pepper; diced
- 10 oz Peas; thawed
- 1 ½ c Boiling water
- 2 Tomatoes; cut in eighths
- Parmesan cheese; optional
- Soften onions and garlic in stock in a Dutch oven.
- Add rice, turmeric and pepper; mixing well.
- Add remaining broth and cold water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, combine boilng water, carrots, pepper and peas.
- Cook until carrots are tender.
- Add to vegetable mixture along with tomaotes and simmer 5 minutes, covered.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan, if desired.