Curry Soup Noodles
- 1 lb thin fresh wheat noodles (Chinese-style), preferably with egg
- 2 tb vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tb simple Red Curry Paste
- ½ c thick coconut cream
- ½ lb chopped chicken meat, preferably dark meat
- ½ c med coconut milk
- 2 ½ c chicken stock
- 2 ts Indian curry powder
- ¼ ts Turmeric powder
- 3 tb Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 ts sugar
- 1 c shredded cabbage
- 1 ½ ts lemon juice
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Add noodles, stirring to separate strands.
- Bring water to a second boil and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Pour noodles into a colander.
- Rinse thoroughly with running cold water.
- Drain. Shake off excess water.
- Distribute among 4 small soup bowls.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the garlic; gently
- saute until lightly brown.
- Add the Simple Red Curry Paste.
- Lightly saute for a minute.
- Increase to medium-high heat and add the thick coconut cream; stir continuously until the cream reduces and becomes oil.
- Add chicken; saute lightly and break up the lumps.
- Add medium coconut milk, chicken stock, curry powder, turmeric, fish sauce and sugar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Just before serving add lemon juice.
- Pour the soup over the noodles.
- Top with green onions.
- Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon juice.