Sweet Red Pepper Soup
From the kitchen of The Gaslight Inn Bed and Breakfast − Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
- 4 large red bell peppers, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup apple, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Saute peppers, onions, apples, carrots and vegetable oil, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, until onions are translucent but not browned.
- Then add the stock.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes. Puree soup in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Add red food coloring if desired.
- Return soup to the saucepan.
Serve hot or chilled as is for a really low-calorie, low-fat luncheon dish.
Luxury Starter for Special Dinners:
Add heavy cream (1 cup up to 3 cups, depending on richness desired) and serve warm or chilled. Float a spoon of sour cream or yogurt in the center and sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro leaves.