Dark Chocolate Cake
This cake is very dark and delicious! The recipe makes a lot of cake batter though − enough for three round pans. I halved the recipe and made one larger round pan. Or you could make cupcakes too . . .
Frosting Suggestion: Hershey’s Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 ¼ cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease 3 − 9 inch round cake pans.
- In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture.
- Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool.