Old Fashioned Gingerbread
From the kitchen of all recipes.
Original recipe yield: 1 − 9 inch square cake.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Ready In: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Blend into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the hot water.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan before serving.