Authentic Ukrainian Stuffed Green Peppers
From the kitchen of Yankee Harvest Recipes.
Makes 4 fresh delicious hearty servings
These Ukrainian stuffed peppers cook on top of the stove, in a pot. Long and slow, low heat cooking, is the secret to this delicious Ukrainian stuffed pepper recipe.
ETHNIC COOKING HINT: Sour cream is a staple in every Ukrainian kitchen. Practically every meal has something made with sour cream. A very tasty horseradish sauce is easy to make and is delicious anytime. See below for the Ukrainian Sour Cream and Horseradish Sauce recipe.
- 8 medium sized fresh sweet peppers (green, red, orange, yellow or a mix)
- ½ lb. freshly ground beef, (or 1 lb. beef, if you do not like pork)
- ½ lb. freshly ground pork
- 1 raw large, fresh egg
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (washed).
- 2 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes (or 9 to 10 peeled, garden fresh tomatoes).
- 1/3 cup of chopped, fresh yellow onion
- 1 medium fresh sweet carrot, finely shredded
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-½ Tablespoons granulated sugar (do not omit)
- 2 whole Bay leaves
- 1 cup water, only if needed by the recipe, (see below)
- Cut about 1 inch off the top of each pepper. Discard seeds and membranes. Finely chop the pepper tops (you should have about ¼ to 1/3 cup).
- In a mixing bowl, place the ground meat, raw egg, washed rice, carrot, salt and paprika.
- Mix well with a heavy spoon or your clean washed hands.
- Stuff the cleaned peppers, using all the prepared meat mixture.
- Stand the stuffed peppers up right in the cooking pot.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar, onions, ground pepper and chopped tops of peppers over the peppers.
- Cover and slowly cook for 1-½ to 2 hours.
- If the tomato sauce thickens up too much, add additional water as required.
- To serve, spoon the delicious sauce from the pot, over the stuffed peppers. Serve with fresh baked bread and your favorite beverage. Enjoy…!
Ukrainian Sour Cream and Horse-Radish Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh sour cream
- 3 tablespoons grated horseradish
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix all the ingredients together in medium stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour. This will allow the flavors to mingle together.
- Serve the horse-radish sauce at room temperature with your meal.
Makes about 2 ¼ cups.
HINT: Reduce the horse-radish if you like it milder. Add more horse-radish if you like it stronger.