Beef and Veggie Cheese Casserole
From the kitchen of sassypea (SBD forums).
- low-fat cooking spray
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 12 oz. of lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley, oregano or rosemary, chopped (I used dried)
- 1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread tomatoes and zucchini over sheet. Roast vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large, nonstick skillet, saute beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned. Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Spread beef mixture in a large, shallow baking dish and top with roasted vegetables. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F.
- Whisk together cottage cheese, egg yolk, cheddar cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spoon over roasted vegetables and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until very hot and bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Cut into six equal pieces and serve.