Chicken Stew With Fennel & Saffron
From the kitchen of Mephit.
A savory stew that can be served over brown rice, pasta, or just by itself. Its really more of a cacciatore than a stew.
- ½ teaspoon ground saffron (two packets)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme
- 1 28oz can of whole plum tomatoes
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large shallot, sliced (optional)
- 1 bulb of fennel, with feathery, sliced
- 2 lbs of boneless chicken breast, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 bayleaves
Sautee chicken in dutch oven with olive oil until the outside is just cooked. Add onions, garlic, shallots, and fennel, sautee breifly. Add can of tomatoes, bayleaves and thyme allow to come to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes. Stir in saffron, salt and pepper. Add sweet potatoes and simmer, covered until sweet potaotes are cooked about twenty minutes.