From the kitchen of Better Homes and Gardens.
You can prepare this hearty soup on the range top to save time or slowly in a crockery cooker.
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- ½ cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-½-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
In a large saucepan cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Makes about 5 cups (4 main-dish servings).
<strong>Crockery-cooker directions</strong> Cook meat, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic as above. Drain fat. In a 3-½- or 4-quart electric crockery cooker combine meat mixture, undrained tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil and pepper. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.