24 Hour Vegetable Salad
From the kitchen of Patricia Golshani.
A family favorite. Make up to 24 hours ahead of time.
- ½ head of lettuce (I now use ‘romaine’ lettuce), chopped
- ¼ head of cauliflower (I usually use more), chopped into small flowers
- 1 pack baby sweet peas, thawed (not cooked)
- 1 cup or more chopped celery (again, I don’t measure)
- ½ lb. bacon, fried crisp then crumbled
- 1 cup of mayo (I add 2 tsp. lemon juice)
- 1 cup parmasean cheese (or less)
- 1 pack “Good Season Italian Mix” [dry]
Layer in bowl in order given. Cover tightly, put in ‘fridge for 24 hours.
May toss lightly, before serving.
MY (Patty’s) NOTES: I really don’t measure the ingredents any more, I just make sure it covers a nice layer. I’ve used more bacon, too. I tried using turkey bacon (which we usually eat anyway) but it didn’t stay crisp. The reason I add lemon juice to the mayo is, I mix and mix it ‘till it becomes nice and smooth. This way, it kinda ‘pours’ over the previous layer. You also know that it still tastes delicious the next day, thus at that point, it may be called 48 hours salad.