Coconut Curry Soup Explosion
Serves 4 as an entree, or 6 to 8 as the soup course.
- ¼ lb soba noodles or dried thin spaghetti
- 2 ts coconut milk
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 lemongrass stalk (no leaves), cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 sl fresh galangal (thin slices) or ginger
- 3 tb fish sauce
- 1 tb curry powder (or more)
- 2 ts grated lime peel (or finely minced)
- 2 tb lime juice
- 4 hot red chilies, seeded and slivered or 2 ts Chinese chili sauce
- 4 chicken breast halves (skinless and boneless)
- 1 tb Oriental sesame oil
- 8 Button mushrooms
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Bring 5 quarts of water to a rapid boil.
- Add the noodles and cook until just tender in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Mix in the cooking oil and set aside.
- In a 3- quart saucepan, combine the coconut milk, broth, lemongrass, galangal or ginger, fish sauce, curry powder, lime peel and juice, and chilies or chili sauce.
- Set aside.
- Cut the chicken into very thin bite-size pieces, then mix with
- the sesame oil.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms and set aside.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir gently with a spoon to separate the pieces.
- Then add the mushrooms, noodles and salt.
- Turn into a soup tureen or individual bowls and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
- Serve at once.