Bread and Butter Pickles
From the kitchen of Karen / Ann Watkins.
Recipe makes about 13 quarts. Great on buggers and dogs.
- 25 − 30 cucumbers
- 8 large white onions
- 2 large sweet peppers
- ½ cup salt
- 5 cups cider vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 Table spoons of muster seed
- 1 tea spoon of tumeric
- ½ tea spoon of cloves
- Wash and slice cucumbers very thin.
- Slice onions and peppers thin.
- Combine onions an peppers with cucumbers in large pot.
- Add salt to the above mix and let stand for 3 hours.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and spices in large pot and bring to boil.
- Drain cucumber mixture and add to boiling spice mixture.
- Heat thoroughly but do not boil.
- Pack into sterilized jars seal and process for 5 min.