Coconut Zinger Black Bean Soup
From the kitchen of Naturally Nourished.
An absolutely delicious soup that’s fast and easy.
Vegan, Gluten free.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon peeled, minced, fresh ginger
- 1 pound/500g sweet potatoes (about 2 large), scrubbed and chopped
- 3 cups/ 750ml vegetable broth or water
- 1 14-oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 handfuls of fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems, chopped
- cold pressed olive oil, for serving
- In a large stockpot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add the cumin, coriander,and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and salt, and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes; if the pot becomes dry at any point, add a little water or broth. Add the sweet potatoes, broth, and coconut milk.
- Cover the pot and bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. add half the black beans and simmer until they have warmed through.
- Transfer about half the soup into a blender and puree until completely smooth. Add the lime juice. Pour the blended soup back into the pot and add the remaining whole black beans. Season with salt. Serve hot, garnished with plenty of chopped cilantro and a drizzle of cold-pressed olive oil.