Swiss Bowl (Ghackets und Hörnli)
From the kitchen of Betty Bossi.
- butter for sautéing
- 1.1 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- boiling salted water
- grated cheese
 The original recipe calls for clarified butter because you can heat it to a higher temperature. Regular butter is OK, though.↩
- Cook the meat first
- Heat butter in pan.
- Divide ground beef into a few smaller portions.
- Sauté the smaller portions individually for about 3 minutes each.
- Remove from pan before adding next portion.
- Set aside.
- Add vegetables
- Add onion, carrot and celery to pan and saute briefly.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Add beef bouillon, tomato paste, paprika, bay leaf and sautéd ground beef to pan.
- Cover pan and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook elbows until al dente in salted boiling water, drain.
- Serve in pasta bowls and top with the meat sauce.
- Serve with grated cheese and applesauce.