Red Lentil and Spinach Masala
From the kitchen of Feed Me Phoebe.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
This is a great make-ahead meal and can keep in the fridge for up to week.
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1- inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- One 15-ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil.
- Saute the onion over medium-high heat until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, serrano, cumin, garam masala, and coriander. Cook until very fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Carefully pour in the tomatoes and add the salt, scraping up any brown bits that formed on the bottom of the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the tomato chunks have softened, 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the lentils and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook until the lentils are tender, 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Fold in the spinach and cook until wilted, 3 minutes.
- Serve alongside coconut rice.