Rice Pulao with Carrots and Green Peas
From the kitchen of Kathleen Van Evera.
Sooooo yummy. When I made it, I didn’t have any turmeric, carrots, raisins or nuts, so I didn’t put them in. It was still delicious. And I didn’t use as much oil either. I used maybe half of what the recipe calls for.
Recipe originally found at from Recipe Source
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cups frozen mixed peas & carrots
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup almonds or cashews
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Sauté the onion until soft, and add the chopped garlic.
- Then “splutter fry” the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and turmeric powder for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Lower the heat and add the rice.
- Continue to fry and stir until the rice is well-coated with the spices and starts to become transparent.
- Add hot water (exactly double the measure of basmati rice), add salt and cover the pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Stir in peas and carrots and cover.
- Check the rice every 5 minutes or so to see whether the water has been absorbed and the rice has become tender (taste a grain to test it).
- When the rice is done, fry the raisins and almonds in a little oil and mix into the rice.
- Do not overcook the rice—it will get sticky.