Indonesian Rice Bowl
From the kitchen of New York Newsday.
Contains shredded chicken, peas and rice in a peanut sauce. Assumes you have a rice cooker, but the instructions below accommodate boiling rice without one. Makes 4 servings.
- 1 cup Thai jasmine rice (or Basmati)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen petite peas
- 2 ½ sups shredded poached chicken breast
- ½ cup hot chicken stock
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, white parts only, minced
Green tops of onions, chopped, and ½ cup chopped roasted peanuts
Separate bowls of chutney, sliced bananas, raisins, unsweetened shredded coconut, minced fresh cilantro, mandarin orange segments, chopped apples, plain yogurt
- To make rice, coat rice cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray or a film of vegetable oil. Put rice in rice bowl. Add water, swirl to combine. Close cover and set for regular cycle.
- To make sauce, in a medium-size saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until mixture acheives a sauce-like consistency. Cover and keep warm.
- When machine switches to “keep warm” cycle, sprinkle peas and chicken on top of rice. Close cover and let rice steam for 20 minutes.
- Transfer rice mixture to warmed serving platter with sloped sides. Pour hot stock and peanut sauce over rice. Stir gently to combine peas and chicken with stock and peanut sauce. Sprinkle with green onion tops and peanuts. Serve immediately with choice of condiments.