Ikarian Spinach Rice
From the kitchen of Ikaria by Diane Kochilas.
*I found I need to add about 2 cups of water
- 4 tbsp greek EVOO
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 8 cups chopped fresh spinach, about 1 lb
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup chopped wild fennel fronds or dill
- sea salt and black pepper
- juice of 2 lemons
- IN large heavy stock pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring frequently, until soft. Stir in garlic. Add rice and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cover and cook until the spinach loses most of its volume. Add the water, fennel (or dill), salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until all the liquid is absorbed and the rise is cooked and very tender about 25 minutes. Add more water as needed to achieve a creamy texture.
- Add lemon juice 3 minutes before the end of cooking.