From the kitchen of Mephit ala New Food Of Life by Najmieh Batmanglij.
Persian chicken salad-so good. Serves 12.
- 1 Frying chicken, 2-3 pounds with skin removed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 large potatoes, boiled, peeled, and chopped
- 3 med cucumber pickles, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken in a non-stick pot along with the and salt. Cover and cook for 1 ½ hours over low heat (no water is added because chicken makes its own juice). When done, allow to cool, debone the chicken, and chop finely. Set aside the chicken broth for later use.
- Steam the carrots for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Steam shelled peas for 5 minutes and set aside. (if using frozen peas follow package directions.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together chicken broth, mayonnaise, mustard, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Combine chicken, prepared vegetables and eggs with the rest of the ingredients. Pour the dressing over it and toss well. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Transfer salad to a flat plate and decorate with hearts of romaine lettuce. Chill for at least 2 hours.