Green Bean Casserole
From the kitchen of Wellnessmama.com.
From scratch and totally worth it. I used fresh green beans, trimmed and cut on the angle, parboiled for a few minutes.
- Onion Topping
- 2-3 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut oil or tallow for frying (I use tallow)
- Healthy Cream of Mushroom Sauce
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup cream or coconut milk
- 1/3 of onion mix above
- 8-10 mushrooms, finely diced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 egg yolks (You should have these left over if you are making the Sweet Potato Casserole)
- coconut milk or water to thin
- 5 cans of cut or french style green beans (can also use fresh or 2-3 bags of frozen, just heat first to remove extra liquid)
1. Thinly slice all the onions, separate, and put in medium bowl.
2. Add the two eggs and the heavy cream and mix well until evenly incorporated.
3. Add coconut flour and mix by hand until evenly coated (note:may use slightly more or less depending on your brand of coconut flour.)
4. Put tallow in large skillet and turn on medium high heat.
5. When hot, add the coated onions and evenly brown, turning occasionally.
6. When browned, remove from heat and set aside.
7. In medium sauce pan, melt butter and saute mushrooms until starting to brown, then add cream or coconut milk.
8. Whisk in egg yolks and spices and about 1/3 of the onion topping mixture and continue stirring until the yolks begin to cook and the mixture thickens.
9. Add extra milk or water if needed to thin (only a few tablespoons might be needed).
10. Drain green beans and pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
11. Pour the cream mixture over and mix well until incorporated.
12. Top with onion mixture and heat at 325 in oven until topping starts to crisp (but not burn!) and green beans are heated.