From the kitchen of Whole9.
Sweet and sour cranberry sauce without added sugar.
- 2 – 12 oz bags of fresh (not frozen) cranberries
- 1 cup of 100% pure apple juice (no added sugars)
- 1 large navel orange, washed
- 10 dried black mission figs, very finely chopped (make sure you cut the stems off)
- A dash or two of each: nutmeg, allspice, ground cloves
- Place the cranberries, apple juice, figs, spices, and ½ cup of water into a covered saucepan on medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil for 10 minutes (until the cranberries “pop”), and turn down to low heat. Simmer (still covered) for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange into the sauce, and finely grate the orange zest (use the whole orange peel!) into the saucepan.
- Keep on low heat (simmer) for another 15 minutes. Store in airtight container in fridge until ready to use. Serve cold for the best flavor.