Butternut Squash & Chickpea Coconut Curry (Crock Pot Recipe)
From the kitchen of Tasty Yummies.
- 2 ½ cups diced butternut squash
- 1 ½ cups dried organic chick peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped (you could also use kale here)
- 1 ½ cups freshly shelled peas (you can use frozen here, if you wish)
- 1-2 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (save some for serving)
- Rinse and sort through the dry chickpeas.
- Cut the skin off the squash, remove seeds and cut into 1 inch square cubes.
- Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker besides the peas and spinach.
- Cook on high for 6 hours.
- About 20-30 minutes before serving add in the fresh peas and spinach, and give it a stir.
- If your sauce seems to be a bit too thin or watery when it is done cooking, you could make a quick mix of cornstarch and hot water and pour a tablespoon or two of the mixture into the crock pot, allow it to simmer a bit longer. This will thicken it right up.
- Serve over brown basmati or jasmine rice topped with fresh cilantro, mint or basil and maybe even some shredded coconut.