Curry-Creamed Spinach Stew with a Potato Crust
From the kitchen of Mark Bittman.
Options: add cubed tofu, mizirtha (non melting) cheese, or pork
*Amber’s easier option: use frozen chopped spinach and skip the blanching step
- 3 pounds fresh spinach, trimmed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp garam masala or curry powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 piece firm tofu, cubed OR 8 oz cubed cheese OR 12 oz thinly sliced pork shoulder cut into ½" strips
- 1 large russet potato, thinly sliced with mandoline
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 425. Bring large pot of water to boil and blanch spinach. Strain and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Put butter, garam masala and nutmeg in large saucepan over medium heat. When the spices are fragrant, add coconut milk, yogurt, spinach, tofu (or pork) and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally until the spinach has absorbed much of the liquid. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add cheese if using and transfer to overproof dish.
- Toss the potato slices with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay over the top the spinach without overlapping too much. Bake until potatoes are golden and crisp, about 25-35 minutes. Scoop into bowls and serve.