Spanakorizo (Spinach Rice)
From the kitchen of Ikaria by Diane Kochilas.
I have always needed to add at least 2 cups of water.
- 4 tbps greek evoo
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 8 cups of fresh spinach, about 1 pound
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup wild fennel fronds or dill
- sea salt and pepper
- juice of 2 lemons
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook frequently until soft, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon over medium low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add the water, fennel (or dill) and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer covered, until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is very tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Add more water as necessary to achieve a creamy consistency.
- Add the lemon juice 3 minutes before the end.