Lemon Urad Dal
From the kitchen of Khazana bag of dal.
- 1 cup dehusked urad dal
- 2 ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium tomato (optional)
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- handful dried curry leaves (have left out)
- 2 green chilis (seeded and minced)
- ¼ tsp asofoetida
- Rinse dal. Saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Add water and turmeric and bring to boil. Add dal. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomato and simmer for another 40-60 minutes or until dal is soft.
- Add lemon juice and salt. simmer for a few more minutes.
- In a small frying pan, heat oil over medium and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and fry unitl the begin to sputter and pop. Add chilis, curry and asafetida. Stir a few times and add to curry.
- Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir serve with rice or bread.