Braised Lentils with Apricots and Olives
From the kitchen of Tasting Hygee by Leela Cyd.
I would double this recipe next time and increase the quantity of spices. Otherwise it was delish!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/s tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ cups petite French Green Lentils
- 1 or 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup dried apricots, diced
- 1 cup green olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large stockpot, heat olive oil and butter on medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- INcrease heat to high and add bay leaf, spices, lentils, thyme, wine and 2 cupes of stock, apricots and olives. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 50 minutes or so until lentils are tender, adding additional broth as needed.
- Remove from heat and add sherry vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.